You've heard of WIP Wednesday and FO Friday, right? Yeah, well, Froggy Friday is the usually unseen and less popular fourth cousin
First off, the one you might have already guessed...remember this little crochet sweater that I asked your opinion on a couple of weeks ago? It's fate has been decided.
There were lots of fantastic suggestions and I thank you for each and every one. I really contemplated finishing it and putting it aside so that I'd have a gift for a someone having a girl. I even got momentarily excited because Ginny had just had a baby girl but by the time it was cool enough for her to wear it, it definitely wouldn't fit. That thing was tiny.
Then, as I was searching for buttons for my latest Pebble Vest, I found these...
Sorry for the lousy photos - it's incredibly overcast and rainy today
I did a little research and they could possibly be French buttons from as early as WWI or WWII but one site also said they're also still being made. These, obviously, aren't new but I can't really imagine they're from the early 1900's. They either came from a tin that Mom bought for me in an antique shop or a giant tub that my granny found at a garage sale so who knows?
Then I thought about Chris' suggestion of adding buttons and patches to the original crocheted sweater to give it a military feel. So, as strange as it may seem to use buttons that could potentially be from WWI on a baby sweater...I might use buttons that could potentially be from WWI on a baby sweater. Maybe. I could have added them all the way down the crocheted sweater but I still wasn't happy with the crocheted look so I frogged it. Done and done.
And I'm not even going to think twice about the fact that a Pebble Vest takes exactly seven buttons! :)
And then there's the Easy Baby Cardigan. My original idea was to add crocheted loops and buttons after it was finished but I liked that idea less and less with every monotonous stockinette row. When I got about an inch away from starting on the garter stitch bottom band I decided it's big enough for him to wear more than once or twice which warranted frogging it back and adding button holes. So, in a matter of minutes, this...
I had another reason for frogging it - not a great reason but a second reason none the less. There was a medium sized pool of purple on the back (you can kind of see in the first photo) that bothered me a little bit and now I can fix that, too.
All is not lost - I do have a finished project! Granted, that finished project is a third Pebble...
I'm not really footloose and fancy free when it comes to color (even though that's my word for 2010) . I'm not good at matching things at all. That said, the buttons are all the same...just different, muted colors. I also picked out several shades of orange buttons that looked good but I forced myself to put them back because I was leaning toward all the same shade rather than mixing them up. These buttons are better than brown buttons on a brown sweater but they're still safe. Thankfully, I still have a few months to work on that color thing....